Welcome, Guest

update on How Arach causes pain
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: update on How Arach causes pain

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #213

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Mitsuyo,

you are correct in saying that there are different types of muscle spasm: the acute, jerky type which is actually nerve generated (myoclonic); acute muscle cramp (like swimmer's cramp) and then increased muscle tone (hypertonicity/spasticity) which is more of a background problem; as you say, you might not actually be aware of the latter. It may well be that this was what the baclofen was being prescribed for. There may also be joint stiffness as well.

The Lyrica might be worth a try as some people seem to do much better on this than Gabapentin.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #215

• gmedic123
  • Fresh Boarder
hi all,
just wanted to chime in on this topic. I would love to be able to take a standing MRI. my shooting pain actually stops me in my tracks or drops me to my knees. I have noticed it is more likely to occur after a day of activity- even just riding in the car. The pain wraps itself around my right side above my hip/ pelvis and goes from back to front. the closest i can describe it is a runner's stitch but so intense I often see stars and black due to the pain. friends and family have commented they know when it comes because i get grey and clammy--PAIN! I have to lay down and rest to have it go away. this pain is sharp shooting and occurs in random patterns. that's my 2 cents anyway.
Doc you are right about the diffrent types of pains, I think. I just wonder what causes the very deep, right in the bone, type pain? this is constant with me and no test seems to be able to reproduce this. then of course there are all those \"other\" pains.
final ?, what do you think causes pains- neuropathic in my case, in areas unrelated by dermatomes or referred areas. for example in my case my left arm from cheek to below elbow has burning neuropathic pain, yet my injury is l4-l5 and l5-s1. i actually had a doc ask ME to explain this! i couldn't help but giggle and look astonished:ohmy: ---I thought He was the on who was suppose to have the answers!

What do you think DocSarah? how is this -and things like hand and feet swelling/joint pain explained?
Many thanks- gina

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #216

• gmedic123
  • Fresh Boarder
hi all,
just wanted to chime in on this topic. I would love to be able to take a standing MRI. my shooting pain actually stops me in my tracks or drops me to my knees. I have noticed it is more likely to occur after a day of activity- even just riding in the car. The pain wraps itself around my right side above my hip/ pelvis and goes from back to front. the closest i can describe it is a runner's stitch but so intense I often see stars and black due to the pain. friends and family have commented they know when it comes because i get grey and clammy--PAIN! I have to lay down and rest to have it go away. this pain is sharp shooting and occurs in random patterns. that's my 2 cents anyway.
Doc you are right about the diffrent types of pains, I think. I just wonder what causes the very deep, right in the bone, type pain? this is constant with me and no test seems to be able to reproduce this. then of course there are all those \"other\" pains.
final ?, what do you think causes pains- neuropathic in my case, in areas unrelated by dermatomes or referred areas. for example in my case my left arm from cheek to below elbow has burning neuropathic pain, yet my injury is l4-l5 and l5-s1. i actually had a doc ask ME to explain this! i couldn't help but giggle and look astonished:ohmy: ---I thought He was the on who was suppose to have the answers!

What do you think DocSarah? how is this -and things like hand and feet swelling/joint pain explained?
Many thanks- gina

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #218

• mitsuyo_sprague
Dear DocSarah,

Thanks again for your reply. I am going to see my rheumatologist tomorrow and neurologist on Wednesday due to some new symptoms, and I am sure one of them could prescribe Lyrica for me.

I feel like new symptoms keep coming up, and I am sure I sound like hypochondric to my doctors and even to my husband. The intense itching is now everywhere! But that's not my biggest concern right now. About a week ago I started having some stiffness and pain in my knees, ankles, wrists and fingers, which are worse at night and till morning and that's when my fingers get swollen badly that I can't bend my fingers. Then a few days ago, this itching started in my fingers. My fingers are reddish at night. Also, I got a rash on my face, on both cheeks and on my nose, which really looked like Malar rash of Lupus. It's much better today but was like a sunburn for 4 days. The rash felt very warm. I think my ankle pain comes from the pain in my heals, and the right is worse than left. But the symptoms in my knees and fingers are pretty much the same both right and left. I couldn't fall asleep easily last night because of the burning pain in my fingers. My knees and ankles hurt only in the morning when I go down the steps.

So, my new question is this: Is it possible for arachnoiditis to cause Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lulus?

Also, have you heard anyone with arachnoiditis experiencing itchiness in the tailbone area or even in the whole body for that matter?

Thanks.

Mitsuyo

Re:Mitsuyo ?s 18 years, 4 months ago #219

• gmedic123
  • Fresh Boarder
mitsuyo,
good luck with your doc visits. I was also checked for arthritis - the results were negative. seems AA can cause these random flares that last months for me. It is good to try to rule it out though. didn't want you to feel alone:silly: !

also, i found i am really sensative to meds and that they often cause XTREME itchiness after awhile, sometimes months after taking them. then i can itch EVERYWHERE-oh i do mean everywhere! then it is time to change meds or live with it for me.

good luck w/ the docs! - gina:)<br><br>Post edited by: gmedic123, at: 2005/11/28 16:31

Re:Mitsuyo ?s 18 years, 4 months ago #220

• mitsuyo_sprague
Hi Gina,

Thanks for your encouragement!!! It's a real comfort to know that somebody else (many of them, infact) goes through the similar things! I know it's not just in my \&quot;head\&quot;!!!

My rheumatologist ordered some blood tests for Lupus today. She told me to go to a lab today before I would start on prednisone tonight for immflamation. I will be on that med for 10 days (I think) to see if that will help, and need to see her again in 2 weeks. She also told me to take over-the-counter banaydryl at night for itching. I asked for Lyrica, which she will let me try when I go back to her. She didn't want me to start on two medications at the same time, which I appreciate. I gave her a copy of one of DocSarah's article on AA, and I was so pleased to see her read during my appointment! She was honest that she didn't know much about AA, and she thanked me for bringing her the article and even asked me some questions about AA. Last time I was there, she told me that I didn't present a typical picture of fibromyalgia and therefore didn't need to come see her any more unless I had new problems, which I had this time. I told her that I could have developed fibromyalgia secondary to AA, and she accepted it!

I will see my neurologist in 2 days. We will see how this one goes.

Take care.

Mitsuyo
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds